ENDANGERED ANIMALS WITH TYPE
Expanding further from my previous project, 3a (type as image) which I really enjoyed, I decided to make a book of A to Z animals.
Firstly I found animals from A to Z, but I don’t really feel much for it till I stumbled across WWF’s website. You can check it out here: (https://www.worldwildlife.org/species/directory)
They had many animals that are endangered and requires conservation efforts to save them of which touched my heart. So, I decided to raise awareness of these endangered species with a typography book of animals and fonts from A to Z. With that I expanded my project, making the animals using different typefaces and here’s the process:
So firstly, I had to cut up the different typefaces unique to each letter and each animal then using them to fit to the contours of the animal.
As you can tell, I used mainly cut up U(s), brackets, full stop, and other letters like J/L etc.
The process was very tedious and time consuming but fulfilling when I put it all together in the end. Here are the final spreads:
I aligned letters and included the name of the animal, conservation status, name of the typeface and the letters of the typeface for reference.
The last 4 panels are my front cover, inner page, prologue and the back cover.
Before finalising those 4, I consulted Shirley regarding them and got some feedbacks. ‘
The cover page’s font is Castle T Ultra. I used that font since it was the closest I could get to mimic WWF’s customised font.
The font used for my intro/prologue page is Times New Roman since I wanted it to look more professional. Also, for my prologue, I took WWF’s mission and incorporated it in together with my objective of raising awareness for these animals/learn about the typefaces.
(back cover and front cover)
Comments: My font was too big and it fights for attention together with the animals. Choose a focus, either the font or the animal. Perhaps, add a wash of watercolour to bring out colour and texture to draw attention of reader. Remove unnecessary animals and just keep one as the focus.
Comments: Unnecessary to repeat title again, so remove it. Why is my name there? What role do I play? The awkward placing of the WWF logo at the corner of the page is weird, so try to text wrap around the logo and there is an orphan word.
So after all those consultations, I came up with these 2 cover page, which I narrowed down to the pink/purple as it looks more alarming for endangered animals rather than the blue which seems more calm and serene.
With that, I came up with my final spreads which were ready to print! Here is the finalised work:
PROCESS AND FINAL PRINT OUT:
I decided to make tabs for easier readability and had to cut 1cm away from the inner pages for the tabs to be inserted in and it’s a mess as you can see from the above picture. With the remaining half of the vinyl sticker, I made stickers to share with the class, yay!
I printed the letters that is unique to each font but it looks a little messy and hard to read which then made me decide to standardise the font to Times New Roman.
I really like the final outcome of this project. I learnt so much about the different endangered animals and the anatomy of various typefaces.
If I had more time for this project, I would explore further about colouring them and making a larger book so I could include some facts regarding the animals for people to be more aware about saving nature.
All in all, this is a project that I would definitely show people since it was one of the first ever books I made.
That’s all folks!