[2D II] Final : Project 1 Typographic Potrait

Concept

My main concept for this project was Irony. I wanted the audience to discover the real me by themselves through these pieces. For all of the four panels, I had use a ‘base’ as the background and ‘cut-off’ sections to the typography itself to symbolise that there were more than just that.

The Work Pieces

1. “My name is Dina and I am a gardener but..”
Typo - Final
For this work, I did a combination of fresh and healthy brown soil as the base with bright and colour flowers to represent myself as a ‘gardener’. I had used different flowers for the main name and thin vines for the extensions to make the former stood out more.

“I am bad at it”
Although I love planting and nature in general, the plants seemed to die at my touch. Hence, I wanted to create the same scenario for the pull out section. I had converted the base to a dried and cracked light brown soil with dead flowers and some bugs coming out of the soil like earthworms.

2. “My name is Dina and I love cats but..”
Typo - Final
I tried to depict the relationship the cats had with the human by using human skin texture as the base background, as if they were holding ‘paws/hands’. The reason why I used black and white cats was not only because they looked minimal against the base, I also had a strong attraction towards black cats.

“They hate me”
Under those paws and tails were actually scratches they cats gave! I wanted to create a grotesque look so I added in some blood, highlights and bruises to make it more realistic. During my presentation, I had told the class that right after I completed this work, I really received a scratch from one my cat. Probably a bad sign? Haha

3. “My name is Dina and I am a sweet person but..”
Typo - FinalI had used a variety of candies, mainly gummies (because I love them), in different bright colours to represent the ‘sweetness’. I also implemented a candy wrapper as the base background to add more emphasis.

“I attract insects instead”
Yes, not human but insects. I always got bitten by these insects, ants and mosquitoes to be exact, and would start scratching my arms and legs. Therefore, I am somewhat a sweet to them. For the pull out panel, i added a whole lot of ants biting and eating the candies to depict that. Some sections were fully covered by them to spark a disgust reaction from my audience. Probably they would start feeling itchy too 🙂
4. “My name is Dina and I love food but..”
Typo - Final

For this work, I wanted to create one of my favourite food, pizza! Therefore, I used a tomato sauce as the base background and my name spelt out using bacon. Also, I added in some vegetables like tomatoes and green capsicum bits in my initial ‘D’.

“I am a picky eater”
However, I tend to pick the vegetables out while I eat the whole pizza. So I left some tomato stains on the table and did not touch the vegetables until they turned mouldy.

Real Images

Typo - Real Typo - Real Typo - Real Typo - Real

Conclusion

I decided to use the pull out method because I thought I could use the same concept in the future. As I used to take Interactive Media back in Polytechnic, I could not help but create something that interacts with the public.

By using the same concept, they could be Direct Mailers as part of a campaign to raise awareness on what the public sees versus what the actual reality is. For example, a campaign on bully or domestic abuse where I could use a similar art direction like my cat-scratch piece.

Lastly, I enjoyed doing this assignment very much and appreciated the feedbacks that my tutor and classmates had given me. Thank you!

Published by

Dina

Believes in creating works that someone can not only see or touch but be part of, to be within them.

4 thoughts on “[2D II] Final : Project 1 Typographic Potrait”

1. Hi! I really love your work and you photoshop skills were amazing! Initially I thought your first gardener composition was actually a real picture taken by you! The deliverables were also very professionally printed and made, as if its ready for mass production LOL. Really creative idea about irony there and i look forward to seeing what you are going to come up with in project 2!

1. Hey Zactee! Thanks for your feedback! Your works are great too, I love any interaction with the audience. I am looking forward to your project 2 as well 🙂

1. Siqi, Siqi..

THANK YOU!
      Hahahaha I love your game console as well! So creative and it brought back my childhood memories.
      I am looking forward to your future works too! Good job 🙂