Experimental Pitch Idea

Persian-language American vampire western film directed by Ana Lily Amirpour. Tagged as "The first Iranian vampire Western"

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014)

Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi

For my experimental film I want to create an atmosphere or mood of tension, mild foreboding like a loitering undertone of uneasiness.

I want to shoot black and white mainly because I think it’d allow me some leeway in cranking up the ISO making shooting at night a little easier on my dlsr+lens setup which isn’t ideal for shooting at night.

I was wondering if I should explore a narrative or depart from the convention. Perhaps a collage of visuals, exploring techniques such as overlays. I was also thinking of using still photography as it’d further allow me to shoot cleaner higher res imagery giving me more room to manipulate the image.

I was also wondering if I could explore a very audio-centric video, as I find that generally helps with the flow and mood of a piece.

Visuals that I have in mind include a tracking shot of a person from behind, montages of visuals and texture to help create a sense of an idea. I also want a sense of momentum and rhythm to the whole thing. I also toyed with the idea of erratic movements and distortion and glitch, but the more I think about it, the more I question it’s relevance in what I want to create.

FIN