f i n a l

Hellu. My name is Wu You, and I ………

1

AM A WORK IN PROGRESS / MESS IN PROGRESS 

who’s to say that a work in progress is not actually a mess in progress? well, i’m not sure either. it’s ironic, because something with a negative connotation (mess), can actually be referred to something positive (work). 

Figure drawing works, scanned and overlaid with a texture created from experimentation. Has my name scratched very faintly in the texture. For the final, I sewed on my name along the outlines, making it look really messy (kind of like a constellation but possibly a really ugly one). From far, it looks quite interesting, because of the blue colour I think. And the line work. But when you go up close it can be really messy.

(Like me. But i’m working on it.) 2

AM ACTUALLY A WORRY WART. 

as mentioned previously, wuyou means no worries in chinese.

I wrote the literal meaning of my name but made it drippy and all dark and gloomy with an inverted ink-soaked-crumpled paper texture. I added a blue tinge to make the emotions stand out more. It makes the viewer feel a bit worried somehow, because it’s quite overwhelming. Well yeah, my worries are quite overwhelming too. Which is the irony. Bam.

3

MIGHT BE A REBEL

I put the words ‘might be’ because that’s the irony alone. Rebels stand strongly for what they believe in, and somehow I have a lot of hesitation while being torn between caring a lot or not caring at all. The style of this work alone is also very different from the rest because the alien dude has solid planes of colours whereas the others are more abstract. I splattered paint over the final printed copy after prof joy suggested to make it more grunge. I’m not sure if what I did was actually grunge or not though!

The repetition of “I want to believe in myself” indicates self doubt, really.

I would have been really obvious with the middle fingers but hey the alien made it subtle. It’s a lot of push/pull hesitations. That’s the irony, I guess.

4

SLEEP TOO MUCH, BUT I ALSO SLEEP TOO LITTLE. 

This one was gross. I won’t lie. I made it with PVA Glue, Coffee (and the grinds), and the traditional chinese medicine my mother feeds me when I tell her I can’t sleep at night.

“THIS ONE EAT ALREADY WILL SLEEP ONE”,
well ok it works to some placebo-induced extent.  

The irony is that I mixed the coffee with the sleeping pills, and they look almost the same. The medicine smells kind of gross though. The message is in the medium, I guess. My name is also kind of visible, but kind of fading away. It’s like the state of needing to sleep for 24 hours but you have a life to actually live, so you end up sleep deprived. A little bit caught in the middle.

The smell alone is the probably the most interesting part of this one, because it smells medicated but also like coffee and regrets. Nice.

2 comments for “f i n a l