Research Critique: Videofreex film

Research Critique

Videofreex in the Lanesville TV control room. Credits Randall Packer, OSS ADM.

“Here Come the Videofreex” is a film that amazes and fascinates me. They wanted to change the notion of passive television to something that would come alive. I never thought that broadcasting, television, radio, etc. would have such a breakthrough if not for the Videofreex constant perseverance exploring this area.

The group started off with a portable video equipment, Sony Portapak where they would film anything that was interesting and interviewed people. They slowly evolved to capturing real-world situation in which television broadcasted politically correct and manipulative. They recorded real life scenarios and understand the public view as they interact with them. Later, they made the impossible possible using a transmitter and antenna to create television signal to their broadcast which was illegal. They wanted to challenge the idea of illegal broadcasting but in the end the Videofreex made programs which the audience could give feedback. They had role plays, interviewing people on the streets and filming events happening which translates to our current day social media live feeds, live news and sports broadcast, radio, etc.

The control room of Lanesville TV with call-in number. Credits Randall Packer, OSS ADM.

“Taking a camera and telling

own story is unimaginable.”

Mary Curtis Ratcliff

This film made me see the transformation of broadcasting where media is language used by everyone and through this we can speak to the world. They broke the common notion of what broadcasting was suppose to be like in the 1970s which makes see how I can challenge the idea of broadcasting and changing the perception now. Broadcasting is not only one to many but also interacting with people out there to bring about personal opinions and ideas that would be useful. Back then they had a portable video camera but now it is changed to our phones and computer where we can bring it around to showcase what is happening around the world and sharing it through social media. It changes my idea of broadcasting where it does not have to be just filming my daily life but also what is happening around me can be a way of relying information to others first hand too.

Overall, I felt inspired by the Videofreex in their determination to follow their dreams and creating a new world of social broadcasting which makes the world a better place.

1 Comment

1. Excellent and I am glad you found the Videofreex inspiring. The made us realize the power of putting media into the hands of artists for personal expression. And you are right, the film underscores how today we are all Videofreex who have the tools and resources to make our own independent media, to document the life around us, as you say, not just about ourselves but the greater world and all that we see as artists.