Adobe Connect Experience

It was indeed and experience having a lesson in a virtual classroom and having all the first-hand experience in the practical as we go through the theory in class.

There were a few notable differences between having a lesson in class and in our comfort of space.

Personally, I do prefer the whole experience of having a physical class without any barriers to my classmates and tutor. In the physical space, i’m able to observe reactions and facial expressions that are totally honest. Whereas on adobe kinect, only a few people are called up at a certain time. And they very well know they everyone is able to see their faces and expression. They themselves are reminded of that too. Also for those that are not on screen, we never know what is happening on their end, which piques my curiosity at certain junctures.

However, the performance part was kind of intriguing. This is because it was highly interactive as it involved everyone in the class. We were able to do cool and quirky stuff like pulling a random object and out of each other’s frames. Eg. Pulling the keyboard into each other’s desktop misc-en-scne with Makoto.

Also, the chat box was a good way to having some small relevant conversations about what the speaker is saying. In class, it was impossible for someone to speak concurrently and have others to expand on a point they have just mentioned with regards to what the speaker said. Hence, chat box is a plus point.

However, as agreed with the other students it can be really distracting when some messages are not relevant to what the speaker is saying. Constant chatter like that distracts students when we really want to concentrate and make notes.

Also during the virtual class, there was also some noise and inaudibility with the speaker and mic. Hence I heard the wrong name and made an appearance when I wasn’t called. Oops! Technology (and hearing fails!)

Published by

Val Lay

MAI TU LIAO

2 thoughts on “Adobe Connect Experience”

1. Preference for onsite classroom without barriers to classmates and tutor

Several students have mentioned this “barrier” on Adobe Connect (AC).

What are these barriers to which you refer? Are you referring to social, cultural, language, or physical barriers perhaps?

I ask this because there are barriers at B1-14 as well, like the furniture between you and half of the people on the other side of the conference table, but no one seems to be bothered.

Also, when you were on Facebook Live in week 1, you were also physically separated when everyone left B1-14, but no one was bothered the spatial barrier that arose from the separation.

Inability to observe honest reactions and facial expressions on AC

Hmm… is that why you always choose to sit at the back of the class, so that you can have a clearer view of your classmates seated in front?

Nevertheless, no matter where you are seated at B1-14, there will be a number of students whose faces are occluded or blocked — especially those seated to your far right. You probably have a very limited view of the faces of Bao and Wind —  who are seated furthest away from you at the conference table.

How does inability to observe all your classmate’s reactions even during onsite lessons at B-14 affect you?

I ask this because you never know what they are up to as well, since your views of Bao and Wind are blocked by Tiffany, Hannah and Su Hwee. Also when students are answering Randall’s questions, I notice that they rarely look at their classmates. They are unaware when classmates respond to their comments with a smile or nod, as well, just like on AC.

Like you, I noticed a greater range of expressive actions at B1-14 than on AC. In fact, I was photographing them when Xin Feng expressed her annoyance with me on Thursday. When I compare the photographs at B1-14 and those on AC, I see that the mood only changes online when Randall initiates the collaborative activities. However, at B1-14, I see several students and even Randall grinning, gesturing, laughing, expressing awe and approval more often than they do online, and vice versa.

However, I am unable to tell which is the authentic persona, as I don’t know all of you well enough to be certain.

Since you’ve known several classmates for some time, could it be that certain responses we see on AC are more genuine than the carefully curated responses at B1-14? How can you tell that several reactions are not as “honest” online as they would’ve been onsite? What are the clues or signs?

I ask this because there are students who appear more animated on Facebook Live, than they are on AC, and vice versa. Others are fairly consistent.

Intrigued by performance

What was especially cool and quirky about being able to pull an object out of each other’s frames?

Chat box

You can actually hide the chat box whenever you no longer wish to see it. You can maximize the webcam window to fill the entire screen, hiding the chat box. I think most students don’t realize that they can ignore the chat box, because Randall will inform us if he needs us to refer to the chat box. There is no need to read everything, just because you can!

Nevertheless, you were one of the most active students on chat, and I cracked up when you wrote, “what did i just watch” and “just hope your parents dont walk in”.

It is interesting that many students find the chat box distracting, but not when students actually chat with one another at B1-14. During activities like the OBS task, I saw at least 5 clusters of students talking during the activity, and no one complained about that being distracted. I wonder why.

Are you distracted when your classmates chat with one another during onsite lessons at B1-14?

Technology and hearing fails

I can’t tell you the number of times I was unable to hear students clearly at B1-14, wishing I could turn the volume up or replay what they just mumbled.

Do you encounter problems at B1-14 too? Are there any onsite fails you have encountered?

One key problem at B1-14 is the lack of space — especially at the rear. Poor Dina, Hannah, Xin Feng and Win Zaw previously had to share a tiny sliver of space at the edge of the conference table, until I wiped the spare table clean and pushed it against the conference table on Thursday. Even then, Dina is still sandwiched between Val and Hannah with the least space. Makoto even had to sit beside the TV previously when he was ill, as there was no space at the conference table for him. Onsite learning can have its fair share of fails.