I documented my design process and silkscreen process.
My final compositons will be documented in another post!
1. I am the king of the World - Titanic
The keywords that I extracted out is King and World.
For the first 2 compositions. I was being too literally the word king and world keep getting stuck in my head.
Then I came across this image. The mother is using her phone and the baby is placed on the floor. I thought it is ridiculous as technology is taking over the world.
Then thought about it and I felt that it is true that technology is taking over our lives. Everyone owns a phone. In the past, people communicate by sending letters or talking face to face. But in the current society, we no longer need to do that.
Even for myself, I feel weird not bringing my phone out when me. Therefore, for my third and final layout I want to show technology, mainly phones taking over the world.
This is the composition I worked on before my final.I use hand, phone, world and the dialling symbol. Since the technology is taking over the world, the main subject is the phone, hence it is the biggest and the world is the smallest.
2. The human world is a mess - Little Mermaid
The keywords that I extracted out is human, world and mess.
I use octopus to represent the mess. Like the human world is being taken over by animals. I want the focus to be on the octopus. After doing my first composition, I felt the design do not have a main subject. Everything seems too overpowering. Therefore, I tried to enlarge the size of the octopus and reduce the size of the human world. However, I still feel that the design is a bit too messy.
For my the third layout, I tried to duplicate the subjects. And I create a focus by enlarging the centre octopus. Showing octopus taking over the human world. I like this layout, but I felt that it do not show the mess as there are too much negative space.
3. It's always tea time - Alice in the Wonderland
The keywords that I extracted out is tea and time.
This is one of the quotes that I struggled with. I felt that my design is too literal and simple.
I use teapot and clock to represent the 2 keywords. I felt that there is too much postive spaces. What I could do, is try to duplicate the subjects and add in more textures.
4. When will my reflection show who I am inside - Mulan
The keywords that I extracted out is reflection and inside.
This is my favourite quote. Mulan is a girl but she have to disgust herself as a man. When I thought of the I thought of using roses to represent female. For my first layout, I place the rose outside of the heart and I felt that it does not show the inner self.
Therefore my second composition, I tried placing the roses in the heart it self and I use wire burb to warp around the heart. It is to show the inner self begin trap and she could not reveal her real identity as a female. And the rose in her eyes shows how much she wish to reveal her identity.
I really like this layout, but I feel that the design was too symmetrical and that I could as some texture and emotion to the background.
I am very excited because the last time I did it was in poly. And I really enjoy it. However, what we did back then was slightly different.
After I have finalised with my final composition. The fun begins!
First, we had to print our design on 2 pieces of transparency. We each collected a silkscreen frame and a tote bag.
Then, we had to wash the frame to remove dusts. Next we have to coat our silkscreen with blue emulsion and put in the dryer until it drys.
Then we had to wash to off the unexposed part, I was so disappointed as my design got wash off and I had to redo another screen. I thought my design had many details and 18secs of exposing it not enough, so for my next screen I exposed it for 20secs. This time round everything got washed off. I was really worried as most of my classmates already had there screen exposed and I do not have time to redo another screen that day. I had to wait for the next week 🙁
I know I was behind time and I am also worried if the design got washed off again, I had to redo. So the next lesson, I came to class prepared and I quickly went to coat the screen with emulsion.
After many tries, I finally got what I wanted. I am glad the details did not got washed off.
This is what my screen looks like after washing off the unexposed parts.
Now we move on the even scarier part, the test prints. I am very afraid the details will not be seen.
For my first trial, I applied too much ink and pressure. By the third print, I got the hang of it. Im glad it turned out better than what I expected.
And now I am ready to print on my tote bag!
The prints came out slightly lighter than on paper. I think it is because the bag absorbs more ink. However it still turn out good!
Yeah! It was a success! Thank you to my lovely classmates that helped my out in the silkscreen! 😀
I showed my family the tote bag and my sister wanted one too. So then the next lesson, I bought a extra tote bag and I printed it for her the next lesson. I felt that this tote bag turn out better and the ink was dark. However, the proportion is bit off as the bag is too big and the design seems smaller.
Time to say goodbye to my screen!