“Typographic Portrait Problem” – Process III

Basically what i did from my previous update on OSS was to develop the ideas further and to finalise the respective designs. (I won’t be writing on the concept/idea/story behind the works in this post, but just the physical process developments). Here is briefly, my current progress:

1. Assembly Line Worker

I decided to work with a dull colours (black , white, brown) for this design.

assembly9

Cartridge paper (white) & black paper (black)

cardboard-paper-250x250

The colour brown actually  comes from the colour of the cardboard.

assembly2

Style one : Loose curls (Initial)

assembly5

Style 2: Controlled/Tight curls (Chosen)

I felt that the second style would be more appropriate and suitable for my concept instead of my initial style hence i decided to work with the tighter and more controller curls.

Process:

assembly8

1. Roll up the strips of paper.

assembly10

2. Double side tape the ends together.

assembly6

3. Fold a alphabet ‘skeleton’ then place the rolled-up strips in.

*Note: Final design still unconfirmed, may do more explorations.

2. Video Game Player

A problem arise while i was about to do the actual piece. The problem was there was insufficient space (A5) for me to execute my initial idea (using the many pixelated characters, stacking/connecting them to form the alphabet). For example, one alphabet would have taken up almost half the paper and for this design i wanted it to be a total of seven alphabets (Siew Hua).

Therefore, this led me to kind of tweak my ideas to satisfy the assignment’s requirements.

game3

Alphabet ‘S’ & ‘e’

I decided to keep one character for one alphabet but it still retains the concept of how the character is a part of the letter (as seen in the above picture.)

3. Fashion Designer / Textile Designer

For this design i explored further with the choice of medium and choice of background before finalising it.

textile3

colour pencil (left) , pen (right)

I felt that even though it can still bring my message across, it was not pleasant to the eyes in terms of how it look aesthetically. Additionally, aesthetics is a strong factor in this fashion/textile industry.

textile 5

white pen on black paper

I always believed and thought that illustrating white on black has this attractive quality to it hence i decided to explore in this area as well.

However, after trying the various mediums, i still felt my original choice of medium and colour for it was still better. (black pen)

textile 6

Colour choice: using what i learn from colour theory last sem (complementary shown in pic above) Background: done on shiny silver paper

I encountered many problems such as smudging and how the medium and/or colours and/or background do not blend well together.

textile2

Combination of black pen with colour pencils on white cartridge paper.

textile 4

Grey paper

*Note: Final design relatively confirmed but might have some changes.

4. Gardener

I researched on the exact plants that i was going to work with. Since my overall concept was going to be about consumerism, I searched up on the most expensive flowers and these were the results:

Ranunculus 425 (1024x683)

Ranunculus

Value: $3 Per Stem

This is an expensive flower and is a very popular option when it comes to special occasions. On the other hand, they are great alternatives to peonies and roses too. They come in multiple colors and few of its colors are there year round while other color variations are limited to early summer and spring.

Stephanotis

Stephanotis

Value: $3 to $8 Each

Stephanotis flowers are otherwise called Madagascar Jasmine. These tiny, sweet scented, star shaped white flowers are commonly seen on wedding occasions. The best thing about this flower is that they are easily available. However, they are pretty expensive on peak seasons.

Peony

Peony

Value: $12 to $15 Per Stem

Peonies are certainly beautiful and this is the reason why they are expensive too. Their price varies though. The peak season is April, May & June. During these months, the cost of this flower goes really high (up to $15 to $20 each). Peonies usually cost twice than roses and are bigger too.

Gardenia

Gardenia

Value: $20 Per Bloom

Gardenias are obtainable all year. This richly perfumed flower is classically cut by the grower just to have its stem less than 1-inch long. You will see florists using them in corsages and bouquets with little wire & tape. Gardenias do not come cheap for the reason that they are unique and give off a great scent. Gardenias are magnificent when you see them float in glass bowls. Moreover, if they are kept this way, they last for 1 week but you require changing the water every day or at least once in 2 days.

Lisianthks

Lisianthus

Value: $ 10 – $35 Per Bundle

These lavender colored delicate flowers are greatly admired for its looks. People often buy them to decorate their garden. However, they require great attention and 100% care, else it easily withers away. This expensive flower blooms annually & is 5-cm in diameter. Lisianthus can easily grow from 15cm – 60cm in height. It has delicate, ruffled and wide oval petals. Lisianthus flowers come in multiple colors like pale purple, lavender, blue violet and white. The reason as to why they are been sold for high price is that they are long lasting — it can survive for 2 to 3 weeks even after it is cut from the stem. Since these are extremely fragile, they earn the name — “Paper Flowers”.

Lily Of The Valley

Lily Of The Valley

Value: $15 to $50 Per Bundle

Nicknamed as “Lady’s Tears” because of the way they appear. They are harvested once in a year and they bloom during May month. They have an amazing smell and even have the ability to survive few weeks after its been plucked. It is well liked for its dainty and delicate appearance. They have bell-shaped blooms. Its stalk goes up to 15-30 cm tall and are surrounded by 2 long leaves whereas the flowers reach about 5mm – 10 mm in diameter. They are expensive for the reason that they require high maintenance.

Hydrangea

Hydrangea

Value: $6.5 Per Stem

This is another most expensive flower in the world. They are grown at Eastern Asia, Southern America & few parts of Asia. This flower is admired for its matchless circular bunch of small flowers in every stem. Shrubs basically grow around 1 – 3 meters tall — right from their early spring until late autumn. You can see these flowers mostly in white blooms, blue, light purple, violet and even pink. Hydrangeas easily droop & wilt. These flowers are commonly used during occasions, especially on weddings. The reason that they are expensive is that it takes huge effort to produce & cultivate.

Gloria

Gloria

Value: $ 7 to $10 Per Flower

This beautiful flower is expensive as well. It is native only to Asia and South Africa. Apart from being expensive, this cute little flower is rare and distinctive too. It has extended tendrils, which support bloom’s weight. The leaves are about 3-meters long and are admired for ostentatious flowers with flexed petals. These come in oranges, yellows, deep reds & yellow-green.

17th Century Tulip Bulb

17th Century Tulip Bulb

Value: $600 to $1000 Per Bud

Even in the year 1673, this flower was sold for 10000 gilders. Can you believe that? Now, this explains why this flower is so expensive even today. Since it is considered historic, every bud will cost you between $600 and $1000. Not only is this flower exceptional but also rare.

Source: http://www.magazine8.com/15-most-expensive-flowers-in-the-world/

Instead of my initial illustrative idea, I wanted to change the technique and push the idea further by doing it with mixed mediums or digitally.

asocj

layout tryout of how i tried piecing the flowers & insects together to make alphabets.

^ Artist reference: Danielle Evans /  Aleph Corporation (refer to research post)

Some problems i faced while making these designs digitally was the colour adjustments, trying to piece them to form how i want my alphabet to look and also it took me quite some time to crop out the images individually.

garden1

(For mixed media idea): Tryout with different pen/markers/pencil on the paper I’ll be printing on (probably matt paper)

Similarly i also faced problems with some medium smudging  and unsuitable to use with my choice of paper.

- copdy

Background test out: watercolours (darker)

-

Background test out: watercolours (lighter)

While i was working on photoshop, i found these fonts rather interesting because it converts the alphabets into the respective plants/symbols as seen below.

garden2

Exploration for gardener design

random1

Exploration for fashion/textile design