For our final project, we had to get into groups of 2 and combine elements of our SEM structure to form a lamp shade. Our lamp shade had factors to take into consideration and that was cohesiveness of the two SEMs, light, shape, form and shadow.
l was paired up with Dora whose SEM was a raspberry and mine which was a black walnut leaf. We took elements of Dora’s “abstract-ness” and the structured-ness with rectangular patterns of mine to incorporate it into our shade.
We used rice paper and an xacto knife to cut out the patterns. After which, we brushed fabric stiffener on it to stiffen the rice paper. For the structure of the cuboid, we bent a into the shape that we wanted and wrapped up the wire using masking tape.
It was definitely a really tedious process but Im glad we managed to pull through cause the outcome was definitely worth it in the end.
For this project, we had to construct a sculpture from an SEM of our choice. The SEM i chose was of a black walnut leaf as seen above. I chose to recreate the cross section of the leaf as the texture and holes were quite interesting to work with.
I used clay as it was easier to mound and crave into the shape i want.
For our second project, we had to create string scupltures using plastic sheets and thread. I first started out experimenting with shapes to create planes for the ” skeleton” of my sculpture.
The first model was done using vanguard sheets and thread. I drew two diamond shapes attached to a circle and poked holes along the edges of the diamond and threaded it to the diameter of the circle. Initially, I wanted the thread to interweave in between one another but it failed as it was hard to do so without the thread disrupting one another ( as seen in the second picture). Despite this setback and the flimsiness of the paper, I really liked the structure of it as a whole and proceeded on to my final model.
The final model was definitely much firmer and the tension between the strings were much easier to achieve. I started out placing a paper at the base of the structure so that it was easier to mark out the points I wanted to thread.
Overall, despite the tedious process, the results were definitely rather fulfilling and I wouldn’t mind attempting this again for future projects.
For the past 3 weeks, our class embarked on a 3D project that required us to make animal or organism sculptures using junk materials that we scavenged from home, hardware stores or the thieves market at Kelantan Road.
After looking around, I managed to gather some screws, bolts, hooks and a steamboat net from the thieves market which the uncle kindly gifted to me for free.
My initial plan was to make a seahorse using the steamboat net as the backbone and the hooks as the spine of the seahorse. However, I was advised by my prof to keep the sculpture simple and clean which left me stuck and I had to scrape the seahorse idea for something else. After much thought and experimentation, i borrowed the shell of a computer mouse from my friend along with some odd parts and i was able to piece together a tortoise.
Initially, I covered the silver part of the computer mouse with black duct tape but i was advised to leave it exposed to show the rawness of the “shell”. The head was made using a steamboat net, odd parts from a hardware store for the eyes, silver handles cut off from a pot for the legs and a silver hook for the tail.
For my second “animal”, I went around the class looking for leftover materials and experimented with them to see what I could come up with.
This was my final product which closely resembles a bat.
The wings were made from the handle of a brush, ears were from silver wires, bolts for the eyes and the head was from part of a bottle pump.
Overall, I thought this was a really interesting project and it taught me more about the creative process which was things don’t always turn out the way you want it to be. Hence, as artists we have to learn to see things from different perspectives and try new ways to get to our end result.