For the past 3 weeks, our class embarked on a 3D project that required us to make animal or organism sculptures using junk materials that we scavenged from home, hardware stores or the thieves market at Kelantan Road.
After looking around, I managed to gather some screws, bolts, hooks and a steamboat net from the thieves market which the uncle kindly gifted to me for free.
My initial plan was to make a seahorse using the steamboat net as the backbone and the hooks as the spine of the seahorse. However, I was advised by my prof to keep the sculpture simple and clean which left me stuck and I had to scrape the seahorse idea for something else. After much thought and experimentation, i borrowed the shell of a computer mouse from my friend along with some odd parts and i was able to piece together a tortoise.
Initially, I covered the silver part of the computer mouse with black duct tape but i was advised to leave it exposed to show the rawness of the “shell”. The head was made using a steamboat net, odd parts from a hardware store for the eyes, silver handles cut off from a pot for the legs and a silver hook for the tail.
For my second “animal”, I went around the class looking for leftover materials and experimented with them to see what I could come up with.
This was my final product which closely resembles a bat.
The wings were made from the handle of a brush, ears were from silver wires, bolts for the eyes and the head was from part of a bottle pump.
Overall, I thought this was a really interesting project and it taught me more about the creative process which was things don’t always turn out the way you want it to be. Hence, as artists we have to learn to see things from different perspectives and try new ways to get to our end result.