For our final project, we had to get into groups of 2 and combine elements of our SEM structure to form a lamp shade. Our lamp shade had factors to take into consideration and that was cohesiveness of the two SEMs, light, shape, form and shadow.
l was paired up with Dora whose SEM was a raspberry and mine which was a black walnut leaf. We took elements of Dora’s “abstract-ness” and the structured-ness with rectangular patterns of mine to incorporate it into our shade.
We used rice paper and an xacto knife to cut out the patterns. After which, we brushed fabric stiffener on it to stiffen the rice paper. For the structure of the cuboid, we bent a into the shape that we wanted and wrapped up the wire using masking tape.
It was definitely a really tedious process but Im glad we managed to pull through cause the outcome was definitely worth it in the end.
For our second project, we had to create string scupltures using plastic sheets and thread. I first started out experimenting with shapes to create planes for the ” skeleton” of my sculpture.
The first model was done using vanguard sheets and thread. I drew two diamond shapes attached to a circle and poked holes along the edges of the diamond and threaded it to the diameter of the circle. Initially, I wanted the thread to interweave in between one another but it failed as it was hard to do so without the thread disrupting one another ( as seen in the second picture). Despite this setback and the flimsiness of the paper, I really liked the structure of it as a whole and proceeded on to my final model.
The final model was definitely much firmer and the tension between the strings were much easier to achieve. I started out placing a paper at the base of the structure so that it was easier to mark out the points I wanted to thread.
Overall, despite the tedious process, the results were definitely rather fulfilling and I wouldn’t mind attempting this again for future projects.