I would really like to thank Galina for helping me with the sleeves, collars, and the fitting! Also… IT HAZ POCKETS NOW!!! The pockets are really useless for my concept but having them makes the garment looks really whole and useable after the show, AND I LOVE IT! THANK YOU MOTHER GALINA :’))) Without you my garment will be just a floppy beige thing that’ll be thrown to a corner after the show…
Anw, so here are images of the growth of my garment…
It starts from me working on my “final” on my own and….. turns out many things I’m doing is wrong.
Although I got some parts correct, the overall look is quite shabby. I’m ok with it, but turns out it can be much much better.
I went to buy more fabric as I ran out, but then I saw a nicer fabric and it costs $8/m at Gim Joo. I thought I can redo it and do better so I Bought 3m. Came back to school to cut. Lucky Galina spotted that I was cutting it in the wrong direction (not along the grain) so she flipped it for me. After cutting, I went to sew the back and front pieces together, then Galina started teaching everyone on how to work on the sleeves.
I then worked on the other sleeve of the shirt (note: this image may not be the sleeves part cos I didnt document the process :’) )
After finishing the sleeves, the garment looks like this:
So afterwards we worked on the lapels, then the collar. Again, not well documented process, but heres an image of Galina ironing the collar!
To finish the collar, I have to handstitch the collar and facing so it will be nice and invisible. Galina showed me how to do it and I brought it back to hall to finish it.
Here’s some photos of me looking at the mirror after sewing!
After being happy about the collar, I sew the pants and wore the pieces together:
Galina helped me with the fitting afterwards to make sure that I can bend my body with it.
Then, we begin with the pockets. There’s nothing much to see cos I didnt document this also :’)
Now, I’m just left with the zipper and buttons and then I’ll refine the sleeve ends and pants ends and I think I’m done with the garment. Then… the tech part. Which I’m working on right now.
Ok you see, although my concept have always been revolving around the futuristic cyberpunkish desert, I haven’t really gotten the hang of the exact things I want. So today I clarified it. I also tuned it to fit what I can do and what’s best for a wearable, while also noting that this is a 13 week school project.
Previously, I had an illuminator, respirator, a cape, and sensors on arm that are like armour. Now, I want to make use of the belt and tone down on the components on the garment itself, so I can still impact viewers with the show, make it easy for me, and also stick to the theme.
- The illuminator now lights up all the time.
- The temperature and pollution sensors now uses IoT so I dont need actual sensors anymore
- The mask is the only part that has a motor. This is because motor costs a lot of electricity and very bulky to wear on
- The belt will now be a piece of armour, and it conceals the utility items (knife, bottle, device)
Code & Electronics
I was playing with OpenWeatherMap API, after Naga recommended it to me. I tried many codes but it doesn’t work and was going to give up. But yesterday, I consulted Zi Feng and we figured out a bit of the code, and I think it was like those kind of moment where you dont look at code for a while and come back and you realised how things work… Yeah… So it worked for me.
So basically, I used the api with the api key and I ran it in arduino and the code will generate the information and pluck out what’s relevant (temperature, humidity, wind speed, etc)
Then I switched to this other API called Air Visual which has much more information (including pollution)
So after figuring out how API works, I’m able to draw relevant information directly from the website to my NodeMCU wifi module. This means that I don’t even need an external program (eg. Python) to feed my program.
So I’ve decided to use this instead of components so I can lessen the wires and energy. I worked long enough with wifi to have enough faith with it i guess…
So I tried using the data to control servos and LEDs, it worked. But after a while I think the servos burnt out (SORRY ZIFENG I WILL Buy BACK FOR U :((( ) so I needed to plan properly for the power and components.
Photo documentation of code:
- 3x NodeMCU (ESP8266 wifi modules)
- Main controller
- Temperature arm armour
- Pollution arm armour
- IF POSSIBLE: 1 more for Device controller
- 4x 3.7V Lipo batteries (or higher but not more than 5V)
- Main NodeMCU + main LED
- Mask servo motor
- Temperature arm armour NodeMCU + temperature LED
- Pollution arm armour NodeMCU + pollution LED
- IF POSSIBLE: 1 more for Device controller
- 4x LED strips
- Main LED (10 bulbs)
- Shoulders LED (50 bulbs)
- Temperature LED (20 bulbs)
- Pollution LED (20 bulbs)
- IF POSSIBLE: a few bulbs for Device controller
- 1x servo motor
- Mask servo
- IF NEED: another one for mask servo to make it more reliable. (if that’s so, need add 1 more Lipo)
After today’s breakthrough, I’m gonna start getting the necessary stuffs
- Code for individual electronics
- Buy whatever’s left that I need
- Work on final armour pieces
- Put electronic together
- Refine garment
- Test test test! and also charge my batteries.
So for today’s presentation, I’ll show my progress with electronics and my plans.