Below are the improved still images I have been working from the previous testing on the media wall:
I contemplated while working on this idea of showing decomposition in terms of texture in the zine. In this context, decomposition shows the life of a Nike shoe — a cycle, starting of the book being all vibrant with colours just like how fruits are colourful when it is ripe and fresh to be eaten.
However, as you flip along the pages of the booklet, it started to go into black and white, into more sensitive topic of a Nike shoe — showing the decaying process.
(Printed in an A6 size from Out De Box)
(I’ll reprint it in A5!)
Recap: Point of View of a Nike Shoe
Let us play a guessing game! Maybe you could fill in the blanks?
Here are the final outcome:
Below are the 4 final A5 and its description. These 4 pieces are book pages (torn from long kept novels) that was drawn on, some painted on, then scanned in, edited and layered scanned monoprints to get these overlaying effects. My typography in all these 4 final pieces are the initial of my name, U.
“MY NAME IS…”
“AND I’M AS ABSORBENT AS A SPONGE”
Because I find that I always tend to absorb information as much as possible, store them somewhere deep inside my brain, then amazed at myself for actually memorizing what was actually absorbed some time ago. Like the example I gave during the presentation, the house wifi password — at most it was an 8 digit password, yet I could just recite them without referring to any paper etc.
“MY NAME IS…”
“AND I’M SYSTEMATIC”
Most of the time, I tend to work step by step, follow the rules, and work simple. I like simple, minimalistic, as shown by just the grid lines that covers the entire book page. Systematic is represented by the bubble wrap textured monoprint.
“MY NAME IS…”
“AND I’M AS BUSY AS A BEE”
Bees are known to be hardworking, and I feel that hardworking and determination goes well together. The lines are like those dotted lines we always see in the children’s book when bees buzz around, only mine is busier. The background included salt effect from watercolour techniques, with the red complimenting the black lines.
“MY NAME IS…”
“AND I’M LIKE SHERLOCK HOLMES”
Sherlock Holmes, detective, CSI can be in the same category. I like connecting the dots, solving puzzles and figuring out “mysteries” (not those scary mysteries, no) surrounding me. With that, I was inspired by the detective crime board on how they connect their crimes to their suspects etc, thus the lines all around the book page. Texts from another book page was overlayed to show the ongoing thoughts in the detective/Sherlock’s mind as to how they would solve their crime, just like how I always have thoughts running around my mind whenever I’m in detective mode.
(And the alphabet U here is actually hidden in these lines — referencing from crime TV shows that the hint that will lead you to your culprit is somewhere hidden in your crime board)
‘HELLO’ was an in-class exercise that we did before Project 1 was introduced.
Here are the scanned version of the name tags:
HELLO MY NAME IS UMMI (:
After much decision on which composition to use for the final, it came to this:
_____ + _____ = ME
- I find myself comfortable wearing slippers, sandals, and shoes most of time instead of high heels. This composition had a variation where I tried to add some pop art effects, but I the original image colour of the shoes are nice thus I went for minimalism with the background.
- As shown from the image above, I like the colour red thus the image implies that most of my items are in red.
- ME, a portrait of myself with textured background from the previous monoprint works.
_____ – _____ = A BETTER ME
- I tend to overthink alot whenever I am working, and it would mess up my mind — bringing myself down
- I also tend to bottle up my feelings whenever I am not feeling too happy or etc.
- Therefore when I minus Overthinking with Bottling Up Feelings, it would get me to be free from the mess in my mind and heart and soul. I used butterflies to symbolise being free.
____ x _____ = AN IDEAL ME
- Because I tend to overthink which leads me to pull myself down with such negativity, I would like to be more optimistic than pessimistic.
- I want to be more expressive, more vocal so that people actually know how I feel. I used the image of dancers because dancers are always told to show emotions through their body movement and their facial expression.
- If I were to multiply optimistic with being more expressive, I would get the ideal me who blooms with confidence. I used flower (rose in particular) because it is in my favourite colour but at the same time, it is known that flowers bloom. Thus when you bloom, you tend to be ready, be brave for whatever that comes your way.
____ + ____ = ME IN 5 YEARS
- Pretty ambitious thinking, but I would like to see myself at least getting engaged. These series composition were the tough ones as I wanted to show that I was dreaming (which explains the bubble thought in the image). However, the background would have been plain thus I decided to add repetition at the background for consistency in style.
- Hard earned money saved in the piggy bank for future use
- Therefore, the equation added up as such — seeing myself travelling around the world with the money that I earned. The background comprises of repetition of stamps to show the travelling to different countries.
Therefore, the picture above shows the completion of the project!
Below are the images for the finalized Humpty Dumpty rhyme composition for Assignment 2.
It was all about colours and its hue, value and saturation. These are the ones I did for the in-class colour exercise. Part 1 was the one colour being on top of the other, and I am slowly learning of observing how one colour actually looks warmer than the other when it is put against a different shade/tint/tone/value of another colour. Part 2 on the other hand, was supposed to be using chinese characters but my name doesn’t have one. I would like to use anybody else’s, but then I forgot my name can be done in Arabic characters as well. (That explains the characters you see on the image, basically its called UMMI)
After one to one consultation with Prof, I had a few that was in the “Chosen” folder. In the process of selecting which image actually suits and flows with one another, I aligned them all into the template.
Therefore, these are my final 4 compositions that makes up the whole Humpty Dumpty rhyme.