For the previous week, we did revised mock up and 3D model of how we envisioned our installation, to form an imagery of the NTU map with the hanging/suspended objects (which represents the students of the school).
However, we realised that it may not be as easy as we thought for the audience to see the same imagery we want them to (and some might not even know that that imagery is the shape of the NTU map).
We also received the feedback that the string in different lengths may end up tangling with one another, so we tried to have the string shorter in length and have the hanging objects be the one with the varying lengths. Because we do not really know the exact heights of the buildings in NTU, the lengths are determined by the levels of each buildings. For example, the halls in NTU at least have 4 levels, and we gave an approximate of 200mm for each level, thus the height of the object would be around 800mm.
We also tried variation of shapes for the hanging object. We tried them in squarish/rectangular blocks — with variation sizes and length, and quantity; and realised that it looks too jarring.
Besides this, we were thinking if cylindrical rods would be less jarring and so we tried it in render.
Version A: We tried to fill up the map as to how it is in the image. Colours representing the different sections of the buildings around the school.
Version B: We were thinking if filling the entire map would be too cluttered, so we tried to give some space in between the sections. Colours representing the different sections of the buildings around the school.
Timothy Nohe was the guest speaker during class for this week. He gave a presentation on his interactive work titled ‘Light City: Electron Drawing — Visual Music’.
I find it interesting that he used other methods to create an interactive installation for the festival. I think for me, it was such a unique idea. Children in the video can be seen enjoying themselves with “disrupting” the movement of the image by running their hands on the gestural infrared controller — sending voltages to the synthesizer thus creating a change of pattern to the image. It also focuses on capturing the interactivity among all age groups where viewers learn from one another on how to change the movement of the lights on the screen.
We were given the opportunity to experience the “making” of the interactive image by playing with the generating system with the use of synthesizers, mixer and joystick by connecting wires from an input to an output. We were able to play with the wavelength or frequency, and sound.
There were a few learning points to take away from the speaker: he mentioned of the sound generated affected the dolphins nearby from the location of his installation. Thus they had to do testing in order to get a sound that does not “kill” or upset the dolphins. He also mentioned to always have a spare equipment for just-in-case situations, and having extra equipment that protects the system from the rain.
I think these points could be considered in the iLight proposal as well as we are dealing with an outdoor space.
During recess week, ADM-DIP members met up for the presentation on the IEM side. From feedback, we refined further:
Showing the effect of plastic pollution in the ocean.
Effect is shown through the marine life that is affected by plastic pollution with the change of colour.
Mobiles installation of marine life, represented by jellyfish; about 6-8 suspended
What will happen
Ripple effect will be projected on the ground (from the top structure) to give the viewer sense of being underwater
Jellyfish dimly lit at random or some may not light up at first. When viewers step on the panel, the jellyfish will light up (like heartbeat)
The more panel is stepped on, the environment lighting (in this case the colour of the ocean) turns from blue to red.
Considered the movement of jellyfish — moving up and down, or sideways
After the presentation, works were delegated to each team: DIP testing on technology, and ADM working on the jellyfish prototype. Materials for the jellyfish prototypes were mainly plastics and a mix of fabric to get certain reflective/shimmery effect. We were also trying to see what effect each material gives when it is projected to the floor.
When we tried to use LED light for each jellyfish, we realised that the strength of 1 LED light is not enough and it does not spread throughout the inside of the jellyfish.
Thus, the lighting may probably need a brighter light source for the entire jellyfish to light up. On the other hand, the choice of size of the jellyfish was decided to be of smaller scale, the standard size of water bottle.